The bedroom is one of the most important rooms of your home. This is the room where you and reflect and spend most of your time when at home. Hence, it is very important to have a bedroom that is designed according to Vastu Shastra as this ancient law can bring back lost peace and happiness.
Direction plays a very important role in Vastu Shastra. Therefore, the bedroom should be in the recommended south-west direction. Moreover, the direction of furniture and placements of things are also very important.
Décor guidelines for a Vastu compliant bedroom
1. The Bed: Vastu Shastra says that the bed should be of wood instead of iron, brass or tubes. Further, placing of beds in the centre of the room should be avoided and never join two single beds to form a double bed.
2. The Colour Scheme: Avoid synthetic material in the bedroom like plastic emulsion paint on the wall, synthetic wall carpet and water proofing synthetic sheet. Use shades like pink, peach, sky blue, light green to feel relaxed in the bedroom and avoid painting the bedroom in dark and bright colours. The master bedroom and the guest room should not have same colour scheme.
3. The Dressing Tables and the Mirrors: Vastu Shastra disapproves of having mirrors in the bedroom as this leads to misunderstandings and quarrels between couples. However, if dressing tables with mirrors cannot be avoided, mounting them on the North or East wall is suggested.
4. The Attached Bathroom: If your bedroom has an attached bathroom, keep the door of the bathroom closed. Vastu Shastra allows attached bathrooms towards the North or West of the bedroom.
5. The Wardrobes and other Furniture: Wardrobes should be placed on the South West zone of the room. If you have a table for reading or writing purpose in the bedroom, place it in the east or west side.
6. The Electronic Gadgets: Keep the television, music system, computer or any other electronic gadget at least two metre away from the bed.
Other Dos and Don’ts
- The shape of the bedroom should either be square or rectangle and ensure that the ceiling of your bedroom is leveled properly.
- Vastu Shastra disapproves the use of marble stone flooring in the bedroom of newlyweds.
- Vastu says that the safe should not be kept in a bedroom. However, if your bedroom is the only place for the safe, the safe should be located on the wall in the south.
- Decorate your bedroom photographs, paintings, flowers etc. – anything that gives you pleasure upon gazing at it.
- Remove clutter. Clear accumulated magazines, newspapers papers etc. do not store anything under your bed.
- Never store leather or metal in the box beds, store only bed sheets, blankets and clothes, etc.
- Switch off all electronic appliances, especially at night time, as they emit harmful radiations.
- Keeping all the windows open in the morning for about two hours can bring in positive energies.
- Keeping fresh flowers in the bedroom during pregnancy is recommended by Vastu Shastra.
- According to the principles of Vastu Shastra, keeping an aquarium or plants in the bedroom is strictly prohibited.
- Vastu Shastra disapproves of sleeping in direct alignment with sharp corners so move your bed away from the corners.